"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain" ~ Vivian Greenevia

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Holding On To All The Little Things...

Yesterday was mom's birthday. I struggled all day with what was the most appropriate thing to do to remember her and celebrate her life. I couldn't really come up with anything. I was tempted to get a new tattoo, but what would it be of? I thought about getting a piercing, but what would that show? I thought about getting a birthday cake, but then the thought of getting a birthday cake and not having her here to share it with made me more sad than I was before. I struggled with the temptation of driving 2 and a half hours in the middle of the night to see her. To visit her. To talk to her. I don't think I would have made the drive without falling asleep.

I had an unpleasant experience and I think I had all but given up on finding the best way to remember, and the best way to celebrate my mom's life and her beautiful spirit. Then, I found just exactly what I needed. Tucked away in a little store in the Mall of America. It was exactly what I needed. It's amazing how something so little can mean so much. This does. It's something I can keep close to my heart every day and remember my mom.

This is a short blog, I know, but I think simple is best today. I guess the point that I wanted to get across is the fact that the smallest object can sometimes mean the most. I found that small, meaningful token and I am thankful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment