"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain" ~ Vivian Greenevia

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Letting The Sunlight Shine Through


I really wanted to blog today, but I started, and it seems like all that’s been on my mind lately has been negative. I’m starting to feel like the negative is outnumbering the positive; that the darkness is blocking out the sunlight. I don’t like that. That’s not me. I’ve always tried to find positives in every situation, even when it doesn’t seem like there could be a positive. So, what the heck is wrong with me? Why can’t I seem to be able to do this?
            My week started out with the flu or equally disgusting ailment. It was totally debilitating. I wasn’t even able to walk the ten feet from my bed to the bathroom without causing extreme discomfort. Every muscle and bone in my body ached. I did not think it could have gotten any worse.
            Then I had another equally disgusting day today. I honestly do not think some people fully understand the pain their words can cause. Something small and seemingly insignificant can really impact a person’s life, emotions, well being, and feelings of self-worth. Even things said that one might think another party will never hear usually get back to the other person. This seems to make it even worse. It makes it hurt that much more to know that someone thinks it is okay to say such negative things about someone behind their back.
            The world just seems to be filled with some much negative these days. It seems as though people have forgotten to look for the positive things; to enjoy the happy moments in life. When one puts so much focus on the negative, the sunlight is blocked by the darkness.
            After thinking about this, I thought about the positives that have come from these negatives. Yes, I was sick, and it really was not fun. I would have rather not have had that experience, however, there was some positive that came from this. I learned that not everyone is the same. Even though I have had some bad experiences in the past, there are people out there that care enough to stay with me when I’m sick, get me water when I run out, and make me do stuff I do not enjoy (like drink Pedialyte) because they want you to feel better. It also gave me a day to slow down and catch up on my sleep, which I think I really needed. I have been thinking about so many things and constantly on the go, that it was very nice to be able to just stay in bed for a day and concentrate on me. I also realized that there are people who are willing to help last minute. I can make a phone call at 6:30 in the morning and there is someone there, willing to help me out; even when her day got rough, she still told me to stay home and rest and take care of me. I had forgotten that there are people like this in my world, and I am truly thankful to have been reminded of this.
            No, I really do not like to hear some of these things that other people are saying; I really do not like the negative environment it has put me in. However, I realize that just because there is this one area of negativity in my life, there are areas that are no so negative. There are places where I am appreciated and people are thankful to have me there. And again, in this situation, there are people who care and are willing to help and listen. And for that I am grateful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment